loading message
Hide Options
Search for Info (Open Search Help)
OR AND

Historical Perspective

Kiwanis International

The first Kiwanis club was organized in Detroit, Michigan in 1915.  The first clubs were organized to promote business networking among the members.  By 1919 the organization had changed its focus from business to service.

Kiwanis became an international organization in 1916 with the organization of the Kiwanis Club of Hamilton, Ontario.  In 1962 worldwide expansion was approved.

Today Kiwanis is a worldwide organization that has grown to more than 8,400 clubs in almost 100 nations.  There are over 600, 000 active members.


The Moraga Valley Kiwanis Club

The Moraga Valley club is the only Kiwanis club in Lamorinda and was formed in 1974. There are currently more than 60 members in the Club.

The Moraga Valley Club is a member of Kiwanis International�s California/Nevada/Hawaii District.  Through the years the Club has had several members advance to the roles of Lieutenant Governor, overseeing the clubs in the Alameda/Contra Costa region.